El Pisto is by far my favorite dish in Spain and thanks to this recipe, I cannot wait to incorporate it into my recipe book in the States when I return. I’ve never had anything like this and every time Luisa (our senora) makes this dish, we make sure she knows it’s our favorite. The recipe below is how to make the sauce which can be used as an inside or sauce for bread, but my favorite way to have it is with a fried egg on top. Here it is:
Pisto Manchego / El Pisto
|Basic ingredients4 ripe tomatos
2 medium sizes onions
2 green peppers
1 red pepper
|2 courgettes/zucchini 3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
|Steps:1. Dip the tomatoes in boiling water to loosen the skin, then peel them and cut them in to small pieces
2. Peel and slice the onions and garlic
3. Clean and slice the peppers and courgettes/zucchini
4. Put the olive oil into a frying pan, and gently fry the garlic and onions for a couple of minutes. Add the peppers and turn up the heat a little. Cook for five minutes, stirring all the time.
5. Add the courgette, stir and cook for five more minutes and then add the tomatoes. Cover the pan, and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Add a teaspoon of sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Turn up the heat and stir well. If the pisto has too much liquid, let it boil away but keep stirring so that none of the ingredients stick to the bottom.
7. And if you’re like me, fry an egg and put it on top and enjoy!